Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dim Kindle Fire Screen Beyond System Setting

Last night my Kindle Paperwhite was charging, so I use my old Kindle Fire to past the bed time.

After 15 minutes reading, my eyes felt tired by the bright Kindle Fire screen, then I drop down the menu bar and change the brightness. Then comes the annoying part, even if I turn down the brightness to the minimum level, the screen is still too bright in a total dark night.

Kept reading another 10 minutes, I gave up and went to sleep. My eyes were just feeling pretty uncomfortable.

So finding a solution for the screen brightness problem became my first job this morning, until I get an app called "ScreenDim" in Amazon App Store.

This app has got 3 main features:
  • Dim your screen beyond device's normal settings;
  • Create 5 presets (Night 1-3, Day 1-2);
  • Adjust both backlight brightness and contrast.
Paying $0.99 you can get the full version. Then run the app to make some simple settings.


In this page you can set 5 presets to handle different situation to make the app pretty easy to use. And after my tests, 32% of the brightness in ScreenDim equals the minimum system brightness volume.

Which means, with this app you can get the brightness range at least 30% wider than system defaults. By wake up the notification list you can enter the app's setting screen.

ScreenDim is the first dimmer that can both adjust backlight brightness below what the system normally permits and dim the contrast. Some dimmers only lower the contrast, which keeps the black areas unchanged and glowing gray on LCD devices when in the dark, or only change the backlight within the range normally allowed by the OS.

In the image below you can see how the customer are saying about this app:


This is the full, paid version ($0.99) of this app. A trial version is also available for testing on your device. 


0 comments: